Are you feeling down in the dumps about your mental health?
It’s a catch-22 of depression: sometimes we feel depressed, and then we feel awful about feeling depressed.
But don’t feel bad. Sometimes we feel down, and that’s okay.
People around the world have words of wisdom to share about mental health. Here are 25 mental health quotes to give your mood a boost.
25 of the Best Mental Health Quotes
1. “The advice I’d give to somebody that’s silently struggling is: You don’t have to live that way. You don’t have to struggle in silence. You can be un-silent. You can live well with a mental health condition, as long as you open up to somebody about it, because it’s really important you share your experience with people so that you can get the help that you need.” — Demi Lovoto
2. “There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.”— John Green
3. “Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.” — Albus Dumbledore
4. “It’s up to you today to start making healthy choices. Not choices that are just healthy for your body, but healthy for your mind.” — Steve Maraboli
5. “Gardens are not made by sitting in the shade.” — Rudyard Kipling
6. “This feeling will pass. The fear is real but the danger is not.” — Cammie McGovern
7. “Nobody can save you but yourself, and you’re worth saving. It’s a war not easily won, but if anything is worth winning then this is it.” — Charles Bukowski
8. “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to; it’s not for them.” — Joubert Botha
9. “One small crack does not mean that you are broken, it means that you were put to the test and you didn’t fall apart.” — Linda Poindexter
10. “She is beautiful piece of broken pottery, put back together by her own hands. And a critical world judges her cracks while missing the beauty of how she made herself whole again.” — J.M. Storm
11. “Your illness is not your identity. Your chemistry is not your character.” — Rick Warren
12. “Mental health problems don’t define who you are. They are something you experience. You walk in the rain and you feel the rain, but, importantly, YOU ARE NOT THE RAIN.” — Matt Haig
13. “If you are broken, you do not have to stay broken.” — Selena Gomez
14. “The most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss, and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity, and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, and a deep loving concern. Beautiful people do not just happen.” — Elisabeth Kübler-Ross
15. “Be confused, it’s where you begin to learn new things. Be broken, it’s where you begin to heal. Be frustrated, it’s where you start to make more authentic decisions. Be sad, because if we are brave enough we can hear our heart’s wisdom through it. Be whatever you are right now. No more hiding. You are worthy, always.” — S.C. Lourie
16. “Often it’s the deepest pain which empowers you to grow into your highest self.” — Karen Salmansohn
17. “You are valuable just because you exist. Not because of what you do or what you have done, but simply because you are.” — Max Lucado
18. “One of the things that baffles me (and there are quite a few) is how there can be so much lingering stigma with regards to mental illness, specifically bipolar disorder. In my opinion, living with manic depression takes a tremendous amount of balls. Not unlike a tour of Afghanistan (though the bombs and bullets, in this case, come from the inside). At times, being bipolar can be an all-consuming challenge, requiring a lot of stamina and even more courage, so if you’re living with this illness and functioning at all, it’s something to be proud of, not ashamed of. They should issue medals along with the steady stream of medication.” — Carrie Fisher, Wishful Drinking
19. “What does your anxiety do? It does not empty tomorrow of its sorrow, but it empties today of its strength. It does not make you escape the evil; it makes you unfit to cope with it if it comes.” — Raymond L. Cramer
20. “Your present circumstances don’t determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start.” — Nido Qubein
21. “Everybody knows there is no such thing as normal. There is no black-and-white definition of normal. Normal is subjective. There’s only a messy, inconsistent, silly, hopeful version of how we feel most at home in our lives.” — Tori Spelling
22. “You are the one thing in this world, above all other things, that you must never give up on. When I was in middle school, I was struggling with severe anxiety and depression and the help and support I received from my family and a therapist saved my life. Asking for help is the first step. You are more precious to this world than you’ll ever know.” — Lili Rhinehart
23. “My dark days made me strong. Or maybe I already was strong, and they made me prove it.” — Emery Lord
24. “Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other one thing.” — Abraham Lincoln
25. “It is during our darkest moments that we must focus to see the light.” — Aristotle
Which quote was your favorite?
I hope these quotes helped you feel a little bit better, a little bit stronger, a little bit more at ease. Mental health is a journey, one which we don’t have to take alone.
If you’re struggling with your mental health, talk to someone today.
I wish you well in your journey.